Türkiye or Turkey
When you ask a visitor about Türkiye or Turkey,they'll talk about kebabs, carpets, Turkish coffee, baths, historical buildings, mosques, and the Mediterranean sun.
Turkey,is a country with a rich history, filled by nice, hospitable, and industrious people who have developed their country into one of Europe's and the world's fastest expanding economies.
Here are interesting facts about Turkey that I discovered to help you make the most of your trip. Visit the Ministry of Culture and Tourism's website for further information on how to organize your trip.
Facts About Turkey
1) According to the Religious Affairs Directorate,Turkey has 82,693 mosques,the most of which are in Istanbul,the country's largest metropolis.
2) Turkey is one of only five intercontinental Eurasian countries in the world. Asian Turkey makes up 97 percent of the country, while European Turkey makes up only 3%. The Bosphorus, the Sea of Marmara, and the Dardanelles divide them from one another.
3) Turkey is the world's fourth most popular tourist destination, with 29.9 million international tourists in 2021.
4) Turkish Airlines has 245 destinations in 105 countries across four continents, making it the world's fourth largest airline by destination count.
5) On October 29,1923, the newly founded "Republic of Turkey" was officially declared in Ankara,ending 623 years of Ottoman rule.
Mustafa Kemal became the republic's first President, and the honor surname "Atatürk" was given to him(Father of the Turks).
6) As of 2012, Turkey has 11 World Heritage Sites on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The Archaeological Site of Troy, the City of Safranbolu, the Great Mosque and Hospital of Divrii, Hattusha: the Hittite Capital, Istanbul's Historic Areas, Nemrut Da, the Neolithic Site of atalhöyük, Selimiye Mosque and its Social Complex, and Xanthos-Letoon are one of them.